Semi truck accidents are seldom without serious injuries and often cause fatalities, since they typically occur on highways where vehicles are traveling at high speeds. Combined with the speed of travel and the size of these trucks, the risks of serious injury and even deaths when an accident occurs are very high. Semi trucks usually weigh more than 10,000 pounds, and depending on the load they are carrying, can take much longer to stop than a normal car or passenger vehicle – especially when traveling at highway speeds.
This article includes key information and semi truck accident statistics for the Seattle area, King County, and Washington State.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) lists the following semi truck accident statistics for King County in recent years:
- 9 fatalities from semi-truck accidents in 2012 (of 46 in the whole state)
- 6 fatalities from semi-truck accidents in 2011 (of 33 in the whole state)
- From 2001-2011, large truck accidents involving injuries decreased by 30%
- Over 75% of fatalities from semi truck accidents from 2009-2011 were occupants of the other vehicles, while less than 18% of fatalities were occupants of the truck
According to the 2012 Washington State Annual Collision Summary, there were a total of 4,453 collisions involving heavy trucks or commercial vehicles. Of those:
- 43 were fatal collisions
- 83 were serious injury collisions
- 955 were minor injury collisions
- 3,327 were collisions where only property was damaged
- 43 were collisions with unknown injuries
If you or someone you love is involved in a semi truck accident and has been injured or killed, please contact our offices for legal services. Since semi trucks are often owned and operated by large companies with legal teams and insurance adjustors to defend their claims, it is critical that you acquire legal representation to fight for your just recompense.
Martin Law PLLC specializes in providing expert-level legal representation, to ensure you and your loved ones receive just compensation for personal injury or wrongful death cases.
Charles Martin, Marin Law LLC
Call for a free consultation 206-684-9468