Unfortunately, accidents do happen and preparing yourself for the steps to take after an automobile collision can only benefit you if you find yourself in that situation. Here are the steps we recommend you take in the event of an auto accident:
- Check yourself and others for injuries and call 911 if necessary.
- Call the police and insist on a police investigation. This will create an accurate report of the facts.
- Avoid discussing fault with the other parties involved in the accident.
- Get the following information from all drivers and parties before you leave the scene of the accident:
- Insurance information
- Phone numbers
- Addresses (important to serve notices)
- Get names and phone numbers of all witnesses to the accident.
- Take photographs of the damage to all vehicles as well as the accident scene. Keep a disposable camera in your just for this purpose. Use your phone or borrow a witness’ camera or phone if yours is broken during the accident.
- Describe the damage to your vehicle.
- Draw the scene of the accident. Show the position of vehicles and the direction of travel. Show any lights and signs. Show distances.
If you or someone you love is involved in an automobile accident, contact us to discuss your case and get the expert advice you need to seek justice.